Healthy & Fit
JWI is committed to being Healthy and Fit!
Recently, federal and state legislators have created laws that require schools to be involved in our students’ health and fitness. In addition to focusing on health and wellness in physical education, lunch, and recess, we are doing the following:
- Two days a week, students get a morning recess as they arrive early before class begins.
- Every Wednesday is "Wellness Wednesday," where students report to class for a fun wellness activity with their homerooms.
- Teachers make efforts to utilize health videos and articles in instruction. For example, they may teach a reading strategy using an article on the dangers of smoking, or coach students to write essays, using resources on heart health to do so.
- Teachers use body and mind energizing movement videos and activities as "brain breaks" throughout the day to help students recharge and refocus on learning.
- Soon, Wellness Wednesdays will also be occuring at recess time. A student leadership team will be in charge of planning wellness activities for these days.
- Our nurse's office has an interactive health and wellness bulletin board where students can learn and respond to important health information.